Thank you for visiting! Joan was astonished as a never smoker to be diagnosed at age 56 with Stage IV Lung Cancer (metastatized to the bones). It turns out anyone who has a pair of lungs can get lung cancer.
* 20% of women who get lung cancer are never smokers
* There is no early detection for lung cancer.
* Lung cancer kills more women than any other cancer. Lung cancer alone kills more women than the next four top cancers combined —nearly 200 women each day and most die within a year of diagnosis.
* Research funding and survival rates for lung cancer have remained very low. Breast cancer gets 20x the funding of lung cancer; and the 5-year survival rate for breast cancer is about 20x higher than lung cancer as well.
* 60% of East Asian women who are never smokers who get lung cancer have a genetic mutation that is driving the lung cancer, and are usually responsive to a targeted drug therapy for the first line of defense in lieu of taking radiation or chemotherapy or surgery as the first options!
Join us in raising awareness for research to figure out how to make lung cancer a chronic disease instead of an early killer.
The life expectancy from my diagnosis was 8 months. Thanks to clincal trials and to the ongoing revolution in targeted drug therapies aimed at genetic profiles, I have made my 21 month cancerversary! Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Support Joan Fong (never smoker Stage 4 Lung Cancer patient)
September 27, 2015 San Francisco Walk / Run / Donate
* Donate $$$ bit.ly/2015TeamJoan
* Donate Time and be a runner or walker - sanfrancisco2015.yournextstepisthecure.org/Account/Register
Thank you so very much for your prayers and support.
To learn more about Joan's journey, you can visit caringbridge.org/visit/joanfong.
To see some pictures of the 2014 walk,